What You Should Know About Chimney Cleaning or Sweeping

Chimneys should be serviced (cleaned) regularly as the soot buildup (creosote) is flammable and can catch the chimney on fire. Chimney fires can burn extremely hot and can spread to nearby wood structures. Regular cleaning greatly reduces the risk of a chimney fire. Many people think that having their chimney cleaned might be a messy prospect for their home. But as professional chimney cleaners, we know exactly what to do to keep your home clean while we do our messy work.

The benefits of keeping your chimney swept
A clean chimney is a safe chimney. It will also help you save money on your energy bills, because it won’t get clogged up by soot and other substances. If your fireplace doesn’t have a built-in damper or flue, or if it needs to be cleaned out, then hiring a professional chimney sweep is recommended.

It’s important to remember that there are steps that homeowners can take in order to prevent soot from building up inside their chimneys. For example, you should make sure to open your fireplaces every day and let them burn until they go out completely. This allows fresh air into their chimneys. Also, you should avoid burning wet wood, which produces more smoke than dry wood does.

How a dirty chimney can affect your health
Dirty chimneys can cause a number of health issues, from eye and throat irritation to pneumonia. While minor, these problems can become more serious if not addressed quickly. When was your last chimney sweep? Is it time for another one? If you aren’t sure when you should schedule your next cleaning, here are some things to consider


  • Fireplaces
  • Freestanding wood stoves
  • Wood stove inserts
  • Furnace flues
  • Third stage creosote removal
  • Fireplace deodorants
  • Stove and hearth cleaner

If you need a service that is not listed, give us a call anyway! If we can't do it, we can refer you to someone who can.

Call and schedule an estimate today.

Office hours:
Monday through Friday: 8:30AM to 4:30PM
Phone number: 503 850 0814
Fax number: 503 231 0182